Our church was founded in 1835
175 YEARS OF METHODISM IN BASTROP, TEXAS.
In the spring of 1835 Rev. James Gilliland visited the little settlement of Bastrop (Mina) and held the first recorded service of Methodism in the area. He preached in the unfinished store of Jesse Holderman to a congregation of 11 persons, seated upon planks laid across barrels for pews. The podium from which he preached was a barrel with a bible and a hymnal upon it. In 1839 there are records of 32 Methodists in the area.
At the close of the Mexican War, the Methodists bought a house on Main St and held services there until the first church was built in 1851 In 1850 land was purchased one block west of Main St., bordered on the North by what is now Buttonwood and on the East by Church St. The first formal Methodist Church was built on this property which today (2010) holds the Parsonage. In 1851 the congregation purchased a block of land West of Main St. bordered on the South by Buttonwood and on the West by Church St. The Church built the Bastrop Academy on this lot, which today is the site of the historic Cartwright home.